The Parish of St Augustine's boasts a proud and progressive history. One hundred and six years ago, in 1894, a wooden church was erected to serve the spiritual needs of Catholics in Yarraville, and on weekdays the educational needs of over 200 children. At a cost of 730 pounds, it was situated on the Birmingham Avoca Street corner facing the railway line. Thus, this wooden church would serve as the first Catholic school at Yarraville. 

The Catholics of the western suburbs were fortunate in acquiring the services of the Josephite Sisters who were still under the guidance of Mary MacKillop who had founded the order in 1866. The sisters were stationed in the convent opposite St Monica's school in Footscray. Those teaching at Yarraville's new school had to walk along Whitehall and Hyde Street to and from school daily, as no convent existed in Yarraville until 1912.

In 1896, the first principal, Sr. Casimir was in charge of three sisters, two lay teachers and 221 pupils. By 1905 numbers increased to over 400, and after a report by an education inspector that" the crowding was to the detriment of discipline and education standards", a new brick primary school was opened. 
The school continued to flourish. However, by 1912, teachers and children were again cramped for space and were using the church for many classes. The parishioners again rallied to raise part of the funds for a new red brick building. Electricity was supplied throughout and it provided space for 400 pupils. Because of the muddy streets around Yarraville the practice was to spread sawdust over the bare floors each morning so as to prevent mud sticking to the floors. The sisters would sweep it up each night and lay fresh sawdust for the next day. This building is still very much in use today serving as the office, staffroom and library.

Sister Benedicta was considered to be one of the most influential in establishing the high reputation of the school. She was principal for 30 years- from 1913 to 1943. She was highly esteemed for her educational ideas and the academic achievements that resulted. Her reference was valuable for the school leaver seeking work - especially in the 1930's depression.

By the 1920's the wooden church was being filled to capacity each Sunday for each of the four masses. Despite hard economic times, plans were made for a huge brick church to be built on Somerville Rd beside the presbytery. The parishioners were able to raise the ten thousand pounds required through many fund raising events over a two year period. The imposing new church was blessed and opened by Archbishop Mannix at 3pm on January 31st 1925 in front of thousands of onlookers.

By 1930, the school's population had boomed to 900 children. Therefore, the parish hall was built along with 7 new classrooms - some of which are presently in use by the senior school.

December 1941 heralded a new direction for the school. A girl’s school began with the opening of a new cream brick building on the corner of Birmingham and Avoca Street. Unfortunately, it required the demolition of the 1905 building which had served the school so well. A special feature of the new building was the roof which was fitted for use as a playground for older children. This building currently houses the middle and junior school.

Throughout the war years, times were extremely harsh. In 1942, a grant of 550 pounds was provided by the Department of Public Works to build air raid shelters in St Augustine's school grounds. Following World War 2, European migration was encouraged and the prospect of unskilled work and cheap homes made the western suburbs attractive to different migrant communities. Teachers of St Augustine's would be faced with large classes comprising children from Italy, Malta and Poland who could not speak English at all. Throughout the 1960's, the school began to improve the financial position due to the transformation of government policy on funding for non-government schools. Thus, more equitable financial support together with the lack of Religious vocations has meant that lay people have gradually taken full responsibility for the education of the children of St Augustine's.

From the past we learn our predecessors endured enormous hardships of migration, depression and wars - and despite all this made progress establishing homes, raising families and establishing a church and school system in which they took great pride.